3D knee

For our second assignment in computer visualization we used the CT scans from the Visible Human Project to build a model in the program Mimics. We then imported the model into 3ds max and created three different renders. The first is a realistic render, creating our own textures and using 3 point lighting. The second render  is with the ink n paint material applied creating a 2D effect and showing the branching of the popliteal artery. The third render has an x-ray material applied and was brought into Photoshop for touchups.

 

Tissue Sectioning

I know (with the exception of two assignments) I haven’t posted any of my work from this semester. So within the next couple days I will post everything. This is my second assignment from illustration techniques. Another digital line drawing but in illustrator now using the pen tool. We had to show a non-surgical procedure and as a histology lover I chose to show the sectioning process for light microscope tissue preparation.

 

 

News

The BVIS program at UIC was in the news! Below is the link to the video. All my fellow BVIS classmates look fabulous. 😀

http://news.medill.northwestern.edu/chicago/news.aspx?id=202832

Medical Instrument

Our first major assignment for our 3d modeling class was to model a medical instrument. I chose the trocar which is:

A sharply pointed shaft, usually with a three-sided point. A trocar may be used within a cannula, a hollow tube, designed to be inserted into a vein, artery, bone marrow or body cavity. The word trocar is derived from the French “trois” (three) + “carre” (side).

The trocar I used is actually bladeless. This was done in 3ds max. Solving how to model the instrument was probably the hardest part. I restarted several times. One label had been tricky however. We were also graded on texture and lighting.

Illustration techniques

So it’s getting into the sixth week of my second semester and I haven’t posted anything. We’ve mainly been working on exercises, it’s only been this past week that we’ve had assignments due. Thought I would post my first major project of the semester. This is a line rendered illustration drawn in photoshop. First time I’ve ever used a tablet.

Assignment five

I thought I should go ahead and post the last project I did for my first semester at UIC. The critique had been a week ago and it went pretty well. There’s text with the illustrations to help explain what’s happening. We basically had to explain the cardiovascular benefits of aspirin and why it is better to take with tylenol than ibuprofen. It was done in Illustrator and my audience is students rather than experts.

 

Website

Just finished my website for computer applications. I’ve been working on it for about a month and have dealt with my share of frustrations. I’ve never worked with web before so I was constantly trying to figure out how things work. It’s all put together now and for never working with web before I’m pretty happy. I kept it simple, though it will probably change as I learn more here at UIC. The link is below.

http://www2.uic.edu/~ddobbs3/

 

Complex Concept

It’s the weekend before finals and we are all consumed with projects. We have our complex concept for instructional design, assignment five for anatomical visualization, website for computer applications and the final presentation. I just finished my complex concept today and you can see it below. It’s due monday (as is our websites that I’ll be working on tomorrow) and I honestly can say that I’m happy with it. I don’t want to say how many hours I worked on this (too many to count) but now that’s it done, it was worth it.

How hearing works video

Hey everyone! So I was watching one of my references for my complex concept and I thought I should share it. I’m using it because it shows how the ossicles (ear bones) move in hearing. For some reason the only other reference I could find that illustrated this is the Gilroy Atlas of Anatomy. Anyway, I hope that it’s informative for some of you that see it. If not, hopefully you are like me and you get a kick out of the creepy portrait. Oh, and it’s from the 1940’s so that is awesome as well.

 

Assignment four

Last week was the final critique for assignment four in anatomical visualization. As you can see below we had to depict a set of organs in relation to surface anatomy and the skeleton. Using tracing paper, I first started with the figure then illustrated the skeleton off of the surface anatomy and then placed the organs based on the skeleton. I will say that the ribs are too close to the skin, I didn’t realize this until I scanned everything in. Hopefully I’ll have enough time to fix this (as well as my past projects) before finals week.